Monday, April 03, 2006

Mickey U : Lifelong Fan Studies at Disney

ATHENS, Ohio (The Ironton Tribune) – One of the clearest childhood memories Ohio University Southern student Susanna Harding has is leaving Disneyland in her native California. “I remember walking out of the park every day saying ‘Wouldn’t it be fun if I could work here … if I could live here?’” Harding said. “Nobody could have told me that when I would go to college someday I would get my chance to work at not Disneyland but a bigger park: Walt Disney World. It’s been my life’s dream to work for Disney.” The early childhood development major is one of the thousands of students who have participated in the Disney College program, where students can not only work at the happiest place on earth, but they can also pick up a couple of hours of college credit. The park will be interviewing its latest round of potential “cast members” April 10 and 11 at Ohio University’s main campus in Athens. For Harding, a lifelong Disney fanatic, the experience of a summer working in Pecos Bill’s Tall Tale Inn and Café – one of the Magic Kingdom’s busiest restaurants – is hard to put in to words. “It was so wonderful, it truly is where magic lives,” Harding said. “The magic that we created for every guest every day was totally what I needed. It made me happy, and I learned so much from it.” Harding spent most of her 100-degree-weather days serving up Kit Carson Chicken Salad and Slue Foot Sue’s Sweetheart of a Deal in her floor-length blue skirt, floral apron, and frilly white shirt. “I looked like I took yodeling classes in the afternoon,” Harding said. In between her shifts as a server, Harding was also educating herself with a class in experiential learning – a study in the way that different sorts of people process information – for which she earned three college credits. Harding said that she loved her summer so much, she plans to head back. She’ll be trying out for an alumni program later this year.

No comments: