Monday, April 17, 2006

Disney 'Castmember' Buys Woman's 15 Minutes of Fame on eBay

ORLANDO, Fla. (PRNewswire) – The late pop artist Andy Warhol predicted that in the future, everyone would be famous for 15 minutes. David J.P. Ortiz now has 30 minutes coming. It was Ortiz who placed the winning online bid in an eBay auction for another person's 15 minutes of fame. Three weeks ago, an unidentified woman placed her fame up for bid, saying, "I'm not going to be using my fame so I might as well sell it to someone who could use it." It turns out Ortiz is that person. He paid $510 for the fame. David Ortiz is a quiet, shy bachelor who spends most of his free time working as a castmember for Disney. "I work at the Disney Vacation Club during the week, and then on days off I moonlight at Walt Disney World," said Ortiz. "Everything from audience control to food service." When he's not working, he likes to collect celebrity autographs, attend fan conventions and travel. "My biggest thrill was a few years ago in Burbank at the Nick at Nite fan convention – I finally met Dawn Wells (Mary Ann on Gilligan's Island)," gushed Ortiz. "It was terrific!" Now that he has all this fame coming his way, Ortiz would like to rub elbows with other famous types, wishing to meet Carole King, Jake Gyllenhaal and Elizabeth Taylor – and of course, get their autographs. "I'm pretty shy and I don't have the right clothes to wear and don't get much time off," sighed Ortiz. "But hey, it's time for me to have a little fun."

No comments: